Object.toString, toHash, opCmp, opEquals

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Fri Apr 26 03:21:45 UTC 2024

On 26/04/2024 3:15 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>     Stuff like this is always solvable if we acknowledge (in other words
>     write them all down) what the requirements are!
>
> We had a requirement for memory safety. Without it, RC was more of a
> step sideways than forwards.

I have had a solution to this since before @live that I was screaming
about in the guise of DIP1000's last big hole.

Xor mutable references with borrows.

Protects against assigns, function parameter passing, doesn't need any
extra syntax...

I am highly annoyed by this. THIS WAS SOLVABLE WITH SOMETHING I HAVE
BEEN SCREAMING ABOUT FOR ALMOST THIS EXACT THING.

If this is literally the *only* thing blocking RC, I can do the DIP for it.