OT: Leaving Rust gamedev after 3 years

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 18:12:01 UTC 2024

On Monday, 29 April 2024 at 17:40:54 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
> On Monday, 29 April 2024 at 14:17:41 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>> My understanding of the pros and cons of NaN initialization
>> has not changed.
>
> despite being in a thread of 4 people saying "yes nan init is a
> huge annoyance [specif use case and terrible work arounds]"?

Yes.  As is apparent in this and any other NaN init discussion
that I've been part of, there are pros and cons that people weigh
differently.  The weight I place on being able to more readily
isolate potentially difficult FP bugs is higher than the weight I
place on the auto-zero benefits combined.

I can and have worked without NaN init.  The world didn't end nor
did I call for a NaN init crusade, but I prefer NaN init to zero
init and either to undefined init.