Forum moderation policy idea: No overly combative debating

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:14:29 UTC 2024

On Monday, 29 April 2024 at 14:46:28 UTC, Dukc wrote:

> What do you think?

Although in essence I agree with the proposal, whenever I hear
about moderation I instantly think about censorship and about how
subjective it is. I totally agree that the "too combative"
examples that you've shown should probably be toned down,
however, there might be other members that don't think that that
was such a big deal. Additionally, there are other "weird"
circumstances from a moderator perspective where valuable
community members make acid remarks while making a very strong
technical point. If I were a moderator, I would have trouble in
taking a decision in such circumstances.

If I were to decide anything, I would let the community decide
what is acceptable and what not. How would I do that? I would
essentially migrate the forum to a platform that is more powerful
that can simply let users flag certain parts of a comment that
are "too combative". If a certain threshold is met (for example,
10 people have flagged a portion of a comment), then that part of
the post will be automatically moderated. I would rather go this
path, then have someone (which most likely will be Mike)
individually decide whether to moderate someone or not.

RazvanN