Phobos 3 Discussion Notes - 02-01-2024

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Fri Feb 2 15:08:37 UTC 2024

On 03/02/2024 3:46 AM, aberba wrote:
> On Friday, 2 February 2024 at 09:09:37 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Walter and I had a productive conversation yesterday about Phobos 3
>> and we felt it would be appropriate to share some notes on our
>> discussion.
>>
>> [...]
>
> What about the missing standard library pieces  that are core to
> everyday software dev? Stuff you get out of the box with java/python. Is
> there such considerations beyond fixing the mistakes of v2?
>
> * Json
> * XML
> * Streams
> * Networking (http, socket, ...)
>

> If I understand correctly, v3 is about . How about new module additions
> to v3 such as the above?

That is not part of the current work, although Adam does have a wish
list and thoughts about it.

Please note that Phobos is getting close enough to the 64k symbol limit
on Windows that we cannot be expanding its scope. So the consideration
of how to architect a new standard library must occur prior to work on it.

Starting with something that isn't just a wish list is right. It isn't
some library that we can chop and change on, its going to live for 20+
years so its going to have to be designed right.