Phobos 3 Discussion Notes - 02-01-2024

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:18:05 UTC 2024

Concerning allocators, needs a simpler API in `core.memory`,
without assumptions and without typeinfo, so libraries can depend
on it from bare metal to higher level desktop applications, i
dream of a way to change the associated array's allocator for a
custom one for example

The one in `std.experimental` is too over engineered to depend on
it

Concerning `std.traits` is this package really needed? perhaps
work should go in improving `__traits` instead?

I agree with aberba, i view the STD as building blocks for your
program, instead of just utility functions, `std.net` `std.event`
`std.container` `std.database` etc

Hence i view the "fix std.traits` a waste of time, at least for a
Phobos 3 work

To me Phobos 3 should be an opportunity to make D's std
competitive with other language's std, `std.net` shouldn't be a
binding to curl for example, and if that's not in phobos 3's
goals, then what's the point? Too many people asking how to ship
with curl on windows.. that shouldn't be a problem when someone
is using the language's std, it should just work