What is the reasoning behind the lack of conversions when passing parameters

TheTeaLady TheTeaLady at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 05:48:13 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 3 February 2024 at 18:53:02 UTC, Carl Sturtivant
wrote:
> This last design decision is great because it makes overt
> what's going on at the textual point where new code is being
> written. The compiler ensures the author knows about the
> interaction with existing code.

I like this principle, that the compiler 'ensures' the author
knows about
the interaction with existing code.

The interaction of code in D, is not always clear. It's the
downside of C too.

For a modern 21st century PL, there are surely improvements that
can be made in this area.

Unfortunately, they will inevitably come at a cost - just as they
would in C.

D is very much attached to C. One should always keep that in mind
- in your code that is.