Phobos 3 Discussion Notes - 02-01-2024

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:36:02 UTC 2024

On Monday, 5 February 2024 at 15:40:11 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> I think our goal is to make `-betterC` obsolete. As in: if you
>> don't use the feature, you don't pay for it, and it's implicit.
>
> Even in the 100% pay-as-you-go world, I think we'll still want
> Phobos APIs to avoid depending on (and paying for) more
> druntime features than they really need to.

This feels delusional to me; like I don't know how the formal
style with its contracts and extra asserts and 5 layered datetime
will ever avoid rogue imports that aren't part of a blessed
compile environment.

I have a wasm build script, feel free to test if any single
function of any of the std can compile with libc.math imports
t_time which isnt found with the broken wasm enverment.

The current style leads to highly incestuous, overly reliant on
long correct versions of code that just leads to a highly
connected graph. I see no suggesting from any "pay-as-you-go std"
advocate that isn't "we wil be more careful", "we will compile
with more @nogc" when I dont even know if it would work but a
solution id see would need to make local imports only be allowed
in templated code(so it actually functioned as pay as you go),
drastically cutting back on complexity(no 500 line nullable and
100 line template contracts)