Web Programming in D

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:25:49 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 06:15:47 UTC, Web Dev wrote:
> As part of my job, I usually develop web software. There have
> been projects where I have used Python, PHP and recently Go for
> the backend.

It seems where you work you have the flexibility to use different
tools for different projects. I am not sure why you would do this
- but I am sure there are many.

I think the decision is likely a business one, rather than the
language itself. D is certainly capable being used for Websites
or REST APIs etc.

If you work on your own then I guess you are free to use whatever
language you want without any pushback. For me, even as a lead,
if I hinted at the next project being in a different language
(not just D) I would have a number of puzzled (and unhappy) faces
in my team.
- "Why?" my C# team would scream

If I entertain the idea we all decided to use another language
for legit reasons in our next project, especially for web
development, the contenders are likely to be the popular choices
like:-
- PHP
- Python
- Ruby
- Go

Blimey, even Rust could be a serious contender for the web space
now.

Of course, what possible reason would we leave C# in favour
another? For our circumstances.. very little.

Also, picking "popular" languages will help hiring new
developers, or replace existing ones.

I have toyed with D using Vibe.d and I do like it. However, it is
a lot of bloat and diet can slow things down.

While it could still actively maintained, it is unlikely to be as
full featured to others in php, python, go, etc.

Personally, I would not give up other technologies for it in the
workplace. The risks are too high, especially with other team
members and the "pointing fingers" blame culture. Although we I
did push for D and something went terribly wrong, pointing
fingers at me is valid.

Your circumstances might be different, though.