Why Bloat Is Still Software’s Biggest Vulnerability

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:48:32 UTC 2024

On Monday, 12 February 2024 at 17:30:23 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 03:55:50PM +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Monday, 12 February 2024 at 15:03:01 UTC, tim wrote:
>> > On Monday, 12 February 2024 at 14:49:02 UTC, tim wrote:

<snips>

>> > https://spectrum.ieee.org/lean-software-development
>>
>> Agreed .. two days ago I needed to pull a 13GB docker image
>> from Nvidia repository ... a totally out of control mess.
> [...]
>
> Reducing code size is, to paraphrase Walter, to plug one hole
> in a cheese grater. There are so other many things wrong with
> the present state of software that code size doesn't even begin
> to address.

Hey, at the end the title of the post is: Why Bloat Is Still
Software’s __Biggest__ Vulnerability
Let's start to plug the biggest! :-P

Long story short, the docker images was the last resource after
having lost a three hours battle against PIP and conflicting
dependencies, trying run 2 years old code (python ML environments
sometimes is just crazy). Note that also using PIP involved GB of
download, tensorflow, keras, etc