Why Bloat Is Still Software’s Biggest Vulnerability

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Feb 13 11:19:19 UTC 2024

On Monday, 12 February 2024 at 15:03:01 UTC, tim wrote:
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/lean-software-development

I hate bloated software too. Someone said here phobos reaches
64000 symbol limit so can't grow larger. Wait but what
functionality phobos has? It's mostly templated on top of that. I
wrote an experimental library, it has allocator, bitmanip, prng,
constant time hex (for lulz), collections, logging, some crypto,
hashes, file i/o, json, xml, networking (tcp, ssl, async),
processes and threads, runtime, abstract stream, time and
stopwatch, 319KB of text in total including unittests. I wonder
if I'm doing it wrong. Encrypted shadow file exchange tool
compiles to 24KB, I wrote it because I wanted to send files
between machines running different OSes. HTTP client is 400 lines
of code, it's small enough I didn't bother to extract it into a
library, just copy it on demand, mostly because it's not clear
what to do with pipelining across several requests.