Thoughts on Backward Compatibility

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 17:14:21 UTC 2024

On Friday, 16 February 2024 at 01:44:51 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> To everyone else reading this, I'd like to leave you with one
> last question: what do **you** like about D? What strengths
> does D have, as a language, that you'd like to see become even
> stronger?

It revolves around the fact it's truly general purpose -
scripting, application development and systems programming all
equally supported. And also that the language doesn't impose
restrictions just for sake of some stylistic discipline.

If D ever were to "pick it's camp" and either force me to use the
GC and the standard runtime whether I want or not, or
alternatively ditch the GC it and impose RAII/ref counting
instead, that would drive me away.