Thoughts on Backward Compatibility

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 09:03:15 UTC 2024

On Friday, 16 February 2024 at 01:44:51 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> In [a 2019 blog post][1], which I found today on the front page
> of /r/programming, Michael Orlitzky complains that modern
> languages have too many breaking changes. He contrasts
> "grownup" languages like C and Ada, which have remained stable
> and largely backwards compatible for decades, with languages
> like Rust, which [regularly breaks compatibility][2] despite
> having promised otherwise in its 1.0 release.
>
> [...]

Thanks for writing this, some very good points here. I think that
making migration easier is something we need to focus on, but
that probably needs dmd as a library to be easier to use.

In the case of DIP1000 specifically I think maybe Robert's idea
of moving its checks to `@trusted` may be that way forward, and
making `@safe` regular GC D. Once I'm done with editions I'm
going to write a DIP for this.