Beeflang garbage seeker/collector

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Feb 21 16:28:46 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 20 February 2024 at 18:15:45 UTC, Marconi wrote:

> Good programmers should have the most control of whats going on
> in their software.

You're viewing this entirely from the perspective of the types of
programs you write. Someone writing programs in Javascript or
Ruby is likely to not think about these things, nor have any
reason to do so. They're becoming less important for the majority
of programmers every year. I have a work machine with 128 GB of
RAM. The GC doesn't usually even run. Why should I waste any time
on memory management when it's never an issue?

D is very much a language for the things you do with a scripting
language. That may actually be its best selling point, since
you're free to let your program can grow to tens of thousands of
lines and you never have to worry about performance.

> Garbage seeker helps you to create a great software, improve
> your skills, without force you to accept one solution of memory
> management.

Having to think about memory management in any way forces a
solution on everyone. There are obviously cases in which the
programmer does need to think about memory management, but that's
not an argument to distract everyone else from the core problem
they're trying to solve.

Complete avoidance of the GC is a disco-era idea that is no more
relevant in 2024 than punch cards.