[Feature Request] Keywords for symbol operators

Dom DiSc dominikus at scherkl.de
Mon Feb 26 00:47:39 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 25 February 2024 at 23:40:19 UTC, Danilo wrote:

> Personally I read about it in C++20/23 books round about 2
> years ago for updating my C++98 knowledge, and then just
> started using it. Takes 1-2 days for getting used to it. ;)

Adding new ways to do the same is a bad idea.
The problem is not the time to get used to it, this can be
negligible small.
The problem is that not *everybody* is going to use the new way.
So you need to get used to *both* ways - which creates mental
load.
And even worse: you can mix them and so generating differences in
the code where there are none. By this way you hide were the
important differences are. And that will happen, even if you
don't intend to do it.

If you want to create a new language (in this case: using english
instead of math symbols), stick to it and don't mix it with the
old language.

This of course doesn't apply if you have a new concept not
available in a language. Then using a term from another language
that better describe it is ok - that's the way languages evolve.
But simply adding a new word for the same thing is only useful if
you explicitly don't want everybody to understand you. E.g. every
new generation invents new words for the same concepts, just to
be not understood by their parents. Or some "experts" invent a
lot of special terms to not be understood by "ordinary" people.

So if you want to create some elite kind of D, do it on your own
fork and don't call it D anymore.