[Feature Request] Keywords for symbol operators

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Feb 26 03:18:41 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 25 February 2024 at 07:42:16 UTC, Danilo wrote:
> Programming languages are evolving, like evolution is evolving.
>
> In 2024 it‘s probably better to support alternative keywords
> like ‚or‘, ‚and‘, ‚not‘ additionally to plain symbols like
> ˋ||ˋ, ˋ&&‘, ˋ!ˋ.
>
> Writing clear code using the english language is better
> than using cryptic symbols, in modern times.

I don't consider this an evolution of programming languages.
FORTRAN 66 was the first language to have an ANSI standard, and
it included these operators, so it's more a recognition that the
old guys did it right. COBOL also had them back at least to COBOL
68, (its first standard). Later languages like Lua and Perl have
them too.

I'd say at best it's a minor improvement, but it wouldn't have
many downsides either.