Surprise using DMD as replacement C compiler

Carl Sturtivant sturtivant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 20:29:05 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 29 February 2024 at 19:16:51 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 2/29/2024 7:34 AM, Carl Sturtivant wrote:
>> Hello, I ran into this issue when compiling an old large
>> project on Linux with DMD as its C compiler implicitly using
>> [ImportC](https://dlang.org/spec/importc.html). I was
>> successful:  ImportC really came through!
>
> I'm lovin' it!

Me too! Very pleased: now the brittle C from the early '80s
through the'90s is mutable via D.

I did this on Linux. I used
[cproto](https://invisible-island.net/cproto/cproto.html) and
[ctags](https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags) in a quick and
dirty script to replace K&R defs in dozens of source files in one
fell swoop. That went surprisingly smoothly.