We are forking D

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:55:56 UTC 2024

Hello everyone!

Growing greatly dissatisfied with how things are in the D
Programming Language, we decided it is time to fork it.
We want to change the way decisions are made, giving both more
freedom to change, and more speed to decision making. We want the
process of contribution to be as open-ended as possible, and not
having unnecessary blockage to contributions. We also want the
language to allow for faster software development. The way this
is going to be achieved is still not finalized, but that is the
goal.
One of the ways to achive our goal is to have core focuses of the
language. Such focuses are:

* Embracing the GC and improving upon it, disregarding betterC
and nogc in the process
* Concentrating on the code being `@safe` by default
* Revizing & rewriting the standard library, making `std.v2`
* Improving `druntime` and porting it to other platforms, like
wasm
* Encouraging writing code in D, not sticking up with C
* Improving toolchain

The following stuff will be forked:
* dmd
* ldc
* phobos
* druntime

As hard as it is to say this, unfortunate code breaking changese
are going to be made. But only if they help achieve the goals
listed above.

The forking process is still in progress, and there isn't much
done per se. We are discussing the future of the fork and what we
want from it, it might be a little crazy at first. But if you
wish to help out, bring your changes in, or just look around,
please join our Discord server to discuss:
https://discord.gg/tfT9MjA69u . Temporary website:
https://dpldocs.info/opend/contribute.html

Thank you, and good luck.