We are forking D

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 03:12:48 UTC 2024

I view this development positively. The constant strife I've
observed as a latecomer to D, but as someone who has done and
managed software development for a very long time, was clearly
not healthy or accomplishing anything other than wasting peoples'
energy, because it wasn't converging. This divorce will hopefully
allow the disagreements to be resolved on technical merits.

Having said that, I want to express my great respect for what
Walter and the others responsible for D have accomplished. Given
its conservative objectives (as opposed to something like Haskell
or even Rust -- "here's a new way to think about computer
programming"), I think D is very, very good and as a long-time
language enthusiast, I'm familiar with the competition, such as
Nim and Zig (which isn't really competition because it is still
far from releasable quality, both the software and
documentation). I do admit to having had little experience with
C++, just enough to share Linus Torvalds' opinion.

That D hasn't taken over the world is beside the point; good
things aren't always popular, e.g., Scheme, and sometimes bad
things are very popular, e.g., Windows, JavaScript, C/C++. What
percentage of the world's music-loving population listens to the
music of Bach or Mozart?

My opinions, of course.