We are forking D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Jan 5 19:21:36 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 06:55:15PM +0000, matheus via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 5 January 2024 at 17:02:12 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2 January 2024 at 17:55:56 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> > > Hello everyone!
> > >
> > > Growing greatly dissatisfied with how things are in the D
> > > Programming Language, we decided it is time to fork it.
> > >

> > The chances of a fork being successful when the main repo is alive
> > and rapidly changing is close to zero, I am afraid.
>
> You have a point, but also I wonder what will happen if things like:
>
> DIP1015, DIP1028 and DIP1036 which is currently being discussed in "opend",
> or other things which usually take years get some traction.

DIP1036 is already merged and working. E.g., the following works today:

----------snip----------
import std;

void main() {
	int i = 10;
	string abc = "hooray";
	float j = 1.5;

	writeln(i"i=$(i) abc=$(abc) j=$(j)");
}
----------snip----------

Output:
----------snip----------
i=10 abc=hooray j=1.5

> And about other fellows coming back (Maybe?) like Jonathan Marler and
> others which was already discussed before.
[...]

There's been a lot more than just 2 people actively involved in
discussions on the github discussions page, probably even more on
discord.  It's anybody's guess what will happen in the future, but at
present it seems like this is bigger than it might first appear.

Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we would behave very differently from those who now hold it---when, in truth, in order to get power we would have to become very much like them. -- Unknown