We are forking D

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sat Jan 6 13:18:40 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 2 January 2024 at 17:55:56 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> Growing greatly dissatisfied with how things are in the D
> Programming Language, we decided it is time to fork it.

> We want the process of contribution to be as open-ended as
> possible, and not having unnecessary blockage to contributions.

> https://dpldocs.info/opend/contribute.html

But why name it "OpenD"? If I read "Open" in any project name, I
think of "Open Source", not "open-ended". I find it very
unfortunate that this may signal that D is somehow not open
source, a misconception that we were struggling with for a long
time. D being open source is the very reason why a fork is
possible in the first place.

Forking is a lot better than just leaving, and I wish you, Adam,
and any future contributors success and happiness. I have
appreciation for the work that you (especially Adam) have put
into D thus far, and I am sure you appreciate the work that
everybody else has put into D as well (because why otherwise fork
it). Naming it OpenD doesn't look like a nice move to me, and I
hope you'll find a better name.

-- Bastiaan.