We are forking D

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 07:55:55 UTC 2024

On Monday, 8 January 2024 at 04:00:52 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 02:58:58AM +0000, Don Allen via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]

[...]

> If you're not profiling and you talk about performance, I
> probably won't bother reading any further.  Or perhaps I would,
> but more for the entertainment value than any true technical
> merit.

Now how do you interpret the following Don Allen's sentence: "If
your application *is* cpu-limited but spends most of its time in
some library, e.g.,sqlite, or in system-calls, re-writing it in
C++ will only help in proportion to the time spent in your own
code, which is small by assumption." ?

The information about the time spent in sqlite or in system-calls
is trivially obtainable via running a profiler and pretty much
everyone knows this. What kind of *alternative method* of
obtaining this information do you imagine Don Allen might have
used? There's no need to write angry walls of text about the most
elementary things.