We are forking D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 9 00:59:16 UTC 2024

On 1/8/2024 4:51 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On the other extreme, there were also benchmarks that were actually
> measuring background noise instead of the function it's purportedly
> benchmarking, because the optimizer has elided the entire function call
> after realizing that the return value is never used.

I'm painfully aware of this. My compiler (Datalight C) was the first PC compiler
to sport a data flow analysis optimizer. It determined that the benchmark code
didn't do anything useful, and so deleted it.

The reviewer never contacted me about this, he just wrote the benchmark roundup
article saying that the Datalight compiler was buggy because it didn't execute
the benchmark code.

About a year later, other compilers had implemented DFA, and of course this time
the reporter got it right.

I'm still mad about that :-/