We are forking D

Lance Bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jan 9 14:44:40 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 14:02:36 UTC, BlueBeach wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 13:22:08 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>
>> ... See druntime.
> I'm not familiar with this case. It is part of the DMD
> repository. Can you link/give a little more background?

I assume it's a reference to Tango vs Phobos. It was a very long
time ago (resolved before I started using D in 2013) so I'm not
the best person to explain it. You can find information if you
search this forum.

>> Well, the stubbornly different understanding of technical
>> details of DIP1027 vs DIP1038e is the final straw that spawned
>> the fork.
> There is nothing wrong with going into detail making when you
> make your point. But the discussion was conducted in way that
> gave the impression of a serious lack of awareness as of the
> 'where' (in a thread discussing a fork, created mainly because
> of non-technical reasons) and the 'who' (in a thread red by a
> lot of people most of them not primarily interested in a
> conflict about escape characters). To be honest it struck me as
> rather arrogant and ignorant than particulary savvy.

I think to the insiders the problems are known quite well. Until
there is a change in the way decisions are made, there probably
isn't much to discuss with respect to the fork.