We are forking D

Abdulhaq alynch4048 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 18:23:47 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 15:01:28 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

Great comment.

I love Andrei but yes that Good Work vs Great Work thing was
meant to be motivational BS but was actually just plain BS.

Andrei also teased the community with leadership-backed evolution
of Phobos, but then he failed to show up.

A few birds-eye view observations of my own:

* D is Walter's baby and his life work. As other people come and
go, as they are wont do with any project such as D, he knows he
will be left holding the baby and maintaining it. That is why he
will not accept PRs unless they appeal to his taste and he is
confident they are a net positive and don't complicate the whole
thing too much. I fully expect Adam to start behaving like this
BTW, for the same reasons.

At some point in the history of D it was realised there needed to
be a way to make the evolution of D more democratic. This is when
DIPs were introduced. However, Walter's reluctance to accept DIPs
made them an infamous time sink and often a dead end.In my view
this is not unreasonable but it's certainly annoying for would-be
contributors.

* Languages such as D need a BDFL who spends more time managing
and orchestrating developments than cutting their own code.
However, if often doesn't work out like that. Walter becomes a
bottleneck and until he steps back from CTO, he will remain so.

* In the python world, the standard library is considered to be
the place where libraries go to die, because the API becomes
frozen. I agree with that take, and would concentrate on having a
good packaging system where it's easy find the popular and well
maintained libraries for given tasks e.g. XML, json, database
clients etc. Forget about fighting to get stuff into Phobos, it's
too hard and a fool's errand.