We are forking D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 9 21:56:55 UTC 2024

On 1/9/2024 10:23 AM, Abdulhaq wrote:
> * Languages such as D need a BDFL who spends more time managing and
> orchestrating developments than cutting their own code.

The trouble is there are some coding problems that only I can resolve. For
example, nobody else is crazy enough to have embedded a C compiler into D. Heck,
I thought it was a crazy idea for a couple decades.

Would anyone else have implemented an ownership/borrowing system for D? It
exists as a prototype in the compiler now, though it's been fallow for a bit as
too many other things are happening. I know its design is controversial (Timon
doesn't like it at all!), and it hasn't yet proven itself.

Many bugzilla issues get forwarded to me because nobody else seems to want to or
are able to fix them.

I've been slowly working on restructuring the front end so it is more
understandable and tractable.

I'm also very impressed with how far along Razvan and Dennis have come in being
able to deal with difficult compiler problems.