We are forking D

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:12:43 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 21:11:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/9/2024 9:42 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>  From a technical
>> standpoint, D has no parallels that I know of -- it comes very
>> close to
>> my ideal of what a programming language should be.  But the
>> way it's
>> managed leaves a lot to be desired.  It would be a pity for
>> this
>> beautiful language to languish when under a different style of
>> management it could be flourishing and taking over the world.
>

> Thank you for the kind compliments about D. Perhaps one reason
> it is such a nice language is because I say "no" to most
> enhancements? D would have version algebra and macros if it was
> a committee. Some features are great ideas, until you've used
> them for 10 years, and come to the realization that they aren't
> so good of an idea.
>
> Aesthetic appeal is a big deal. D has got to look good on the
> screen, because after all, we spend most "programming" time
> just staring at the code. I remember once attending a C++
> conference where the presenter had slides of his innovative
> ideas, and I had the thought that there was no way to format
> that or rewrite it so it looked good. I've had that experience
> many times with C++.
>
> For example, one of the Tango features I rejected was creating
> a clone of C++'s iostreams. I knew by then that iostreams was a
> great idea, but it just looked awful on the screen (and had
> some other fundamental problems). The modern consensus is that
> iostreams was a misuse of operator overloading.
>
> D also restricts operator overloading to discourage using it as
> a DSL (though Tango still managed to use it for I/O).
>
> I could go on with that, but that's enough for the moment.
>
> The end goal for me with D is that it will no longer need me.
>
> As for Phobos, I am not involved with it directly. There has
> been a sequence of people in charge of it, but that hasn't
> worked out too well. But there is a core team of 35 people
> (though some are inactive) that controls what goes into it:
>
> https://github.com/orgs/dlang/teams/team-phobos
>
> They have the authority to decide what goes in Phobos or not.
> I'm open to nominations to that team.
>
> Anybody can bring attention on the n.g. to any PR that is being
> overlooked.

*Of course, I personally do not want to see this split at all.
This is a rather serious issue where both projects can suffer.*

With regards to the Forked project - I am just sitting on the
fence to see how it turns out. It could be successful and, if so,
more power to Adam and contributors. If it fails.. even badly, I
will still take my hat off for their attempted effort. We do live
in an (internet) age where people like to bash and put people
down. I refuse to be one of those people. Same can be said on
this forum on a number of ocassions, and lots towards Walter and
a few others.

Coming back to Walter - I do understand his position and his
comment (above) confirms that this is the right mindset whether
people like it or not. D **is** a very good language and I don't
think Walter should just add new things if he is not 100%
commited to it. Some things could be great at the time but could
be a mistake in 10 years - and D will then be stuck with it.

I think the reason why I am not frustrated with certain features
not making it into the language is because D has many of what I
need. However I understand that there are people that dont agree
and waited some time for progress of said feature with nothing as
a result.

I do believe that *OpenD* will divert away from D pretty quickly,
merging new features within the first 6 months. It will divert so
quickly that even if there is a chance of agreement between the
two projects, they are simply too far apart to put back together
without some plan.

On top of this, *OpenD* could be including a bunch of things that
I personally do not care about. It could change the direction of
the language itself. This is why I am sitting on the fence. It
might still serve my purposes or it (very much) wont.