We are forking D

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 13:30:02 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 13:02:55 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 12:08:07 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>>
>> I care, for example, because that would be an improvement in
>> my company codebase.
>

> But it's not an improvement _in the D ecosystem_ to hear shouts
> during 3 month (we loose lots of users this way), lost goodwill

That are speculations, users come and go. The lost of Adam and a
fork is a fact.
The discussion is about losing _long term_ contributors, and try
to find out why and how to keep them contributing. But that's
fine, we agree that we disagree.

>, over a menial feature that was always possible as
> part of the scriptlike package 9 years ago.
>https://github.com/Abscissa/scriptlike/blob/master/examples/features/StringInterpolation.d

I know about Nick solutions, I remind you we are using mixins too.

> I care a lot about D mind you and I see no evidence that any
> feature is worth that kind of shouting contest. It's going to
> be very fun when everyone come to agree ImportC was a good idea
> in the end.

Again, the point is not about features, is about caring about
contributions.
It's not a shouting contest, is trying to prevent people to
uprise until the point of shouting.

Let's start from a common point: we all care about D, let's try
to be positive and find out if there's a good way to move forward
and solve the kind of problems that we are facing with this
situation.

I honestly ask, you have suggestions?