named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Jan 11 17:13:07 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 01:25:28PM +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:09:56 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> > On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:07:52 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> > > There is nothing features like string interpolations or named
> > > argument can bring to the table that could pay for the
> > > implementations problem of existing feature.
> >
> > FWIW: I anticipate named arguments significantly improving our code.
> > Large parts of boilerplate's generated builders exist only due to
> > D's lack of native named arguments.
>
> +1, same here for named arguments.
> I will leave to Theo the the reply about syntax highlighting [Joking
> :-)]

lol, my reputation precedes me, I see. :-P

But I will say, just because *I* don't care for syntax highlighting,
doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. If that's what will draw more users,
then more power to them. As long as I have the option of turning it off.
;-)

> I sympathise with your  opinion, but it seems to me that one thing
> does not exclude polishing the harsh points of the language that you
> listed. BUT, polishing hard point involve  long term contributors, and
> we are going back to the "mother of all the problems".

Yes, the social problem. D has overcome seemingly impossible technical
odds, but the social problem remains. And from all appearances, it is
unlikely ever to change.  So this is never going to be solved.

> I would add also that I've the impression that the IDE tooling quality
> improved al lot since years ago, and it's gaining more attention
> lately, web-freak is doing a great job, and Prajwal is working on
> dfmt.
[...]

+1, credit where credit is due.

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people. -- despair.com