named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:59:03 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:07:52 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> There is nothing features like string interpolations or named
> argument can bring to the table
>
> Each time we take steps in that direction, D becomes a harder
> sell.

I would only want the simplest string interpolation but I imagine
we are long past that point i"foo:$foo ($__LINE__)" if your are
constructing strings your probably doing something slow(if not
use binary data), debug related, or compatibility with some
outside nonsense like making json or bash commands, where you
guess and check. Like I wouldnt have let it be a debate for 5
years about speed, template expansion, or adding math to it, etc.

but I believe named arguments + templates will make for very very
nice api's no one else can manage. I think named arguments are
the strongest evidence that d is moving forward at all(note:
relative).