named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:02:46 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:09:56 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:07:52 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> There is nothing features like string interpolations or named
>> argument can bring to the table that could pay for the
>> implementations problem of existing feature.
>
> FWIW: I anticipate named arguments significantly improving our
> code. Large parts of boilerplate's generated builders exist
> only due to D's lack of native named arguments.

Sure on the other hand, of the top level languages, very few do
have named arguments.
C, C++, javascript, Jave, C#, Rust, PHP, Go, none of them has
named argument. Sure, some of the usual suspect do, such as
python, but they are a minority, and the conclusion remains:
named arguments may be nice to have, but aren't what's preventing
anyone from using D.

There is a design mistake I see people making again and again,
and it goes way beyond software: they design for what their
current most satisfied users want. But that's really dumb, these
people are already happy with the product! Anyone in this forum
fall into that bucket, by the way. You got to observe how D is
used int he wild by people not frequenting this space. What
problem do they encounter? What frustrates them? What make the
stop using it? These are the people you want to design for if you
want to actually improve the product.