Named Arguments Status Update - Overloading by name

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:33:26 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 19:21:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's ok if the error is detected after instantiation. It can be
> detected by testing to see if the mangled signature (which is
> generated for the type of the function) already exists.

That is the second option I listed in my opening post, which can
be implemented easily.
However, it would create a compile time 'race condition': the
`f!short` instantiation which dmd sees first may succeed, but any
subsequent attempts will fail.

I don't know if this will result in inscrutable errors in
practice, but it very well may.