named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 09:02:24 UTC 2024

On Friday, 12 January 2024 at 01:21:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 12:42:44AM +0000, max haughton via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Exactly, it's causing D's already-small ecosystem to be
> fragmented even more.
>
> [...]

I don't understand why a library author needs to satisfy everyone.

If part of an IO library API is @safe @nogc, for example, I'm
expecting the author cared about avoiding allocation in that part
and cared about being safe _following a specific design target_,
and aiming to praise application _following a similar design
target for IO_.

That doesn't align with other design? Well, it's simply
impossible to reach all goals at the same time, it's better to
have different solutions (aka libraries) for different
philosophy, and it's easier also.

BTW, that's also because I'm skeptical about the success of
editions, you can't have _everything_ in the compiler, and at the
same time expect to have it simple and manageable. I'm expecting
a big grow in complexity.

/P