named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 23:59:50 UTC 2024

On Friday, 12 January 2024 at 15:18:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 09:02:24AM +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I don't understand why a library author needs to satisfy
>> everyone.
> [...]
>
> They don't.  They cater to their own use case, leaving
> everybody else out.  That's why D's library ecosystem is
> fragmenting.  That was the point: things like @nogc, betterC,
> etc., are fragmenting the ecosystem.

This. Indeed, you can't expect people to bend over backward to
accommodate everybody's use case. But, to grow an ecosystem, you
want that one person catering to their own use case to, by
default, cater to as many people's use case as possible.

Feature that work against this create a maintenance nightmare.