Tuples, CTFE, and Sliding Template Arguments

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Jan 14 02:49:24 UTC 2024

On Friday, January 12, 2024 3:35:54 PM MST Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Given the interest in CTFE of istrings, I have been thinking about making a
> general use case out of it instead of one specific to istrings.

Honestly, this proposal just feels to me like it's making function
overloading even more complicated for no obvious benefit. Of course, I don't
like the idea of interpolated strings in the first place, so that's likely
coloring my judgement on this sort of thing, but all I'm really seeing here
is extra complexity being added to something that's already prety complex.
And I'd really rather not have runtime arguments silently become
compile-time arguments base on how a function signature is written (which
could change when the code is refactored). I feel like function overloading
is already seriously pushing it with how complicated it is (particularly
when templates are involved). If anything, I wish that it were simpler, not
more complex.

- Jonathan M Davis