Tuples, CTFE, and Sliding Template Arguments

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 15 07:50:54 UTC 2024

On 1/13/2024 1:24 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> It's not rewritten like that with DIP1027.

I know. Based on our discussions, several improvements need to be made to
DIP1027. I'm basing my argument on what DIP1027 would be with those
improvements. For example, changing the type of the format string from `string`
to `Format`, doing proper escaping of %, handling tuple arguments, handling
nested interpolations, etc. The draft implementation of it also lacks things
like proper parsing of `(expression)`, which is straightforward to fix and not
any fundamental flaw in the design.

I also am not criticizing things in DIP1036e that should be improved, as that is
irrelevant to the fundamental issues discussed here. The current
implementation/spec seems to be missing things like escaping stray ? that could
appear in the string literals.

I.e. we should both be discussing what the two proposals *could* be, rather than
what they *are* with their feet of clay.