Tuples, CTFE, and Sliding Template Arguments

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 09:38:28 UTC 2024

On Monday, 15 January 2024 at 01:27:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>> I've literally left bugs like this in code for years without
>> noticing until the actual thing (an exception) was printed,
>> and then it was hours to figure out what was happening.
>
> When I've had an exception printed, I'll grep the code base for
> the message to see where it came from. The message should also
> say what was wrong. If it's a generic exception, I'll use the
> debugger to find where it came from. I doubt a format string
> error would be hard to track down, as it's only one level below
> the cause of the error.

That's not an option when working with relational databases, as
their primary use is having multiple applications / tools / batch
/ maintenance people working on them concurrently.

Doing something wrong, _in production_, on a sql database, like
updating / deleting / inserting something wrongly, for an
erroneous sql or _erroneous_ binding of a D variable to a SQL
parameters can't simply be resolved firing up a debugger or
halting a company and restore a backup.

/P