The forked elephant in the room

Curious Observer c.o at mail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:54:06 UTC 2024

On Monday, 15 January 2024 at 10:11:33 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Also if you believe that the fork was made just because
> disagreement about DIP1036 and DIP1027 you are mistaken.
While having looked at the arguments on both sides, as the name
suggests I don't have any skin in this game. How ever having read
the arguments for DIP1036 and DIP1027 the difference do seem
chalk and cheese.

The fact these obvious differences seem to blind so many is
rather amazing.

I'm not qualified to respond on the merits of either design,
however, as a long time C and C++ developer I always saw the
benefit of the %s approach.

However, unfortunately as a Windows C and C++ developer some 15
years ago it became fairly obvious C# was king and that meant
learning C# and moving to C# interpolate strings.

Move on a few more years, even a hard core %s sprintf guy like
myself has to admit C# got it right while of course we all known
C++ with it's crazy cout rules got it totally wrong.

My two cents.