looking for a D3 stl project

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:40:20 UTC 2024

I want to *help* with an stl-like data structures and algorithms
project, I'm under no delusions I should be in charge of such a
thing, but I am not seeing movement even with openD

I take the following things as given:

1. data structures + algorithms = programs
2. with templates you can make your algorithms somewhat data
structure agonistic
3. M data structures and N algorithms with templates roughly make
N*M solutions for N+M code
4. there are more than 2 useful data structures, and d is
***massively*** wasting its potential
5. This will be a template hell project that is just hard, where
minor issues make for 10 template error messages, and you need
the same people in charge of both data structures and algorithms
so you dont have the easy answer "other guys fault"

I have the following requirements for any such project:

1. feature-based and not hierarchy-based. Filter will break
length, map will break a ref front, if you declare length is
higher on the hierarchy than ref front, or vice versa you're
necessarily limiting your flexibility and users will find hacks
like adding `.array` to move up back up the hierarchy
2. one of those feature sets has indexing, so searching isn't so
badly designed and named
3. permissive merging until it has enough code to be usable
4. the goal is to be an std candidate or a first-party lib
5. "composite algorithms" where you reuse smaller pieces are
encouraged and not blocked for "you made an extra allocation","to
trivail" `auto sumWhere(alias F,R)(R
r)=>r.filter!F.reduce((a,b)=>a+b)`