The forked elephant in the room

claptrap clap at trap.com
Mon Jan 15 22:00:31 UTC 2024

On Monday, 15 January 2024 at 19:10:27 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Monday, 15 January 2024 at 18:33:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>
>> Now this is uncalled for. Where in Atila's post was anything
>> mentioned about stopping the fork?
>>

> This.
>
>> We hope that in time the contributors to OpenD will decide to
>> lend
>> their time instead to the D language.
>
> He basically writes "We don't want you to work on openD
> project, you should work on the D project". The key word here
> is *instead* which suggest that it should be mutually exclusive.

Maybe you read to much into it. Maybe he just hopes the egg can
be unscrambled at some point in the future.

But even if that's not what he meant so what? It's quite
reasonable to believe that the fork will be detrimental to D, and
if you really believe that then it would be perfectly rational to
hope that it fizzles out and people come back into mainline. Im
not saying that is what he thinks, but there's a perfectly
rational and inoffensive reason to hold that view.

>> This is also uncalled for. Where in Atila's post is there
>> anything to do with infiltration?
>>

> I'm concerned that the D management will influence the openD
> project and try to bring in the "old ways" which is the state
> of this project right now. It can also creep in when everybody
> is totally unaware of it, like a spouse always ending up in
> abusive relationships. I suggest that the decision making in
> openD should be isolated from the old D project management, at
> least in the beginning until openD has matured.

What like their gonna send their agents over to derail OpenD? You
know it'll need a DIP, a couple of years arguing in the forum,
when somebody eventually completes the work it wont be merged for
some reason. Etc.. I make that 4 years at least before you need
to worry.

If you're smoking weed stop, if your not smoking weed start.