The forked elephant in the room

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 15 23:33:23 UTC 2024

On 1/15/2024 10:33 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Preferred solutions [...]

What mechanism would you propose?

I can't help but think a preferred solution already has a lot of buy-in for it,
and so needs less justification?

For a less preferred solution, it needs to make a compelling case for it.

Before investing a lot of time making a proposal and/or coding up an
implementation, I strongly recommend hashing the idea out in the n.g. first, and
seeing if there's buy-in to the concept.

I've floated many ideas on the n.g. in this manner. Some went ahead, some went
into the dumpster and I'm glad I didn't waste time on the latter. For two recent
examples, see the threads entitled:

"Tuples, CTFE and Sliding Template Arguments"

"Warn about using the GC"

BTW, has anyone else tried to get changes into another language? I have. It's a
years long process, and is extremely difficult to get it through. You have a
better chance also if you're willing to fly to the conference meetings. None of
my proposals got anywhere. Ironically, they way they made it in was to do them in D!

P.S. We also have some contributors who have a long track record of superb
contributions. They also have a consistent commitment to promptly fixing
anything that goes wrong with it down the road. Yes, they get a lot less
scrutiny. They've earned it.