D Bugzilla is still the right place to report problems

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:45:57 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 17:26:11 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 17:04:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 6:27:14 AM MST Andrea Fontana via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:

>>> I still don't get why we're not using github for issues in
>>> 2024.
>>
>> Personally, I don't get why you'd use github issues when you
>> have bugzilla, because bugzilla is a superior tool for dealing
>> with bug reports. Github issues make a lot of sense for small
>> projects where you don't want to go to the trouble of setting
>> up your own instance of bugzilla, but for larger projects,
>> they're a mess in comparison.
>>
>> That being said, D management has been convinced to switch to
>> using github issues, and work is being done on migrating the
>> issues on bugzilla to github, but it takes time. I think that
>> they're getting close to pulling the trigger on it though.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> 1. Because everyone is on GitHub
> 2. Bugzilla is a much older tool with an unfriendly interface
> even though plenty of people got used to it.
> 3. Bugzilla currently does not accepts gmail accounts to be
> created, with it is a big shoot in the foot
> 4. I personally find bugzilla a lot inferior on navigation and
> user discussion

5. Positives and negatives of both approaches were known at the
time and the decision was made under the condition that the user
experience would be basically the same (e.g. not only issues
would get migrated, but also comments, which caused some issues
for a time I believe). Changing now would just be a big waste of
people's time*.

* I know that's a sunk cost fallacy, but it falls well within the
recent discussion of social-technical issues in managing the D
language.