The forked elephant in the room

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Jan 16 23:56:42 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 1:24:04 PM MST Elias (0xEAB) via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 20:18:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > I suspect if we all sat down in a room together, we'd have it
> > resolved within an hour.
>
> While I’m not sure whether this would work out in practice from
> the organizational perspective, it sounds like a great idea.

Among other things, that's how we got the package.d feature. Daniel Murphy
and I discussed it at length with Walter at dconf (either in 2013 or 2014)
at a table in the hotel, because we were looking for a way to split up
std.datetime without breaking existing code. And ultimately, package.d was
the result. Who knows whether that would have occurred if we hadn't been
able to sit down and discuss it in person like that. And I'm sure that there
are plenty of other examples of stuff that's come out of dconf or other D
meetups. That's just the one that comes to mind for me first.

- Jonathan M Davis