Should I invest time in D?

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 09:55:49 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 07:19:28 UTC, Lars Johansson
wrote:
> With the post 'Cloning D', it looks like Pandora's box has
> opened.
> I do not want to be a part of such community and the future of
> D does not look good.

Just ignore this, you don't need to participate in community life
at all.
What's happening right now is just some guys got upset and they
decided that they can do better.
Ok, let them enjoy their new business then.

The D won't fade away just because of that anytime soon.

The only bad thing is that some of them started to throw insults
out of nowhere.
This is the only WTF moment for me, because D community is one of
the nicest overall, and why some people just suddenly started to
behave so aggressive is a mystery for me.

I mean sure if I would be a yesterday contributor and realized
that I wasted so much time for work that constantly got rejected
I will be very upset, but just because of that yell at people and
throw a tantrums? Oof.

> The alternatives do not look good either. Immature, boring, too
> restrictive etc. Is assembler the choice if you want to add a
> low level language to your Intel toolbox?
> I'm seventy one, so I do not have all the time in the world.  I
> have procrastinated too long already. My humble question is
> 'Why should I use D?'.

So, why should anyone use a programming language at all?
I mean I do use C++ but not because I want to...
I definitely doesn't want to use rust or go, at least I can work
with C++ for now, and C# is just too much object-oriented for me
even though it is probably no longer locked in on one paradigm.

Yet I have a programming job and a hobby too, and that's why I
use D, it may have lacking features where practically every other
language have them (string interpolation), it may have lack top
class tooling, it may have rough edges and virtually non-working
features (real DLL support on Windows), but it gives me the tools
I need for practically any task without being locked in any of
the "zen"/"philosophy"/paradigm or whatever.

Sure there is another missing piece about WASM support and people
make their own runtimes, there seems to be complete lack of
cooperation and the language core team doesn't seem to care much
about that as well (I may be wrong though), but again, it doesn't
mean that D isn't capable to do it.

Now the real D curse is lack of cooperation, everyone work for
themselves, you can see that by amount of dub packages doing
exact same stuff but differently, multiple WASM/minimal runtimes,
and even that "We fork D" party doing just that in the end.

That of course won't answer your question or concerns, but the
point is simple - if you enjoy D just use it and ignore all the
noise, it is your life after all.