I approved DIP1036e

claptrap clap at trap.com
Wed Jan 17 10:08:28 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 20:38:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/15715
>
> The only credit I can take is my constant challenges to it
> caused it to evolve into a much better proposal.

Its nice that you're able to put a positive spin on it but the
whole debacle has seriously damaged the community. You can keep
telling yourself that the process should be difficult, that the
fact that the dip was improved justifies all the drama,
frustration and bad feelings that were generated. But it does not.

Plain simple fact is if you had been just trying to improve 1036,
and been clear about that, then it would have been far less of a
problem.

But what played out in the newsgroup looked to pretty much like
you just couldn't let go of 1027 and would do almost anything to
bring that back from the dead in lieu of 1036e.

You can say this is not what was happening from your point of
view, but it certainly did not look that way. And even the most
honest and self aware person would struggle to be fair and
unbiased in such a situation. It's not a criticism of you, its
just how the human brain works.

The problem is you are the gatekeeper, you shouldn't be in a
position where you have a competing DIP and also still be the
person who decides which one is accepted. It's a conflict of
interest. And can only make things like your constant
misunderstandings and hence misplaced criticism of 1036 look
disingenuous.

So in the end, I hope you realise that accepting DIP1036 does not
solve the underlying problems with how D is managed.