The forked elephant in the room

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:02:28 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 23:20:59 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

Thanks for the write up.

> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 10:06:47 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> [...]
>
> With due respect, I think focusing on acceptance vs rejection
> of PRs is completely missing the point here.

I appreciate you pointing that out.

> People like Adam Ruppe and Sebastian Wilzbach understand
> perfectly well that not every contribution is going to be
> accepted. They don't leave just because they can't get their
> way. They leave because they feel *personally* disrespected and
> insulted in their interactions with D's leadership.
>
> When their contributions are ignored, and they have to wait
> weeks or even months to get so much as an acknowledgement (let
> alone a review) from leadership  [1], they feel personally
> disrespected and insulted.

I wrote a spec for that PR and tried to keep Adam informed about
my progress as it was going on. I'm not sure what else I could
have done in this specific case other than do it sooner, I'm more
than willing to listen to suggestions. I'm still trying to get it
merged.

> The simple fact is, D needs people like Adam Ruppe and
> Sebastian Wilzbach more than those people need D. D's
> leadership cannot afford to insult and disrespect its
> contributors until they run out of patience and leave for
> greener pastures. And D's leadership *especially* cannot afford
> to cement D in the minds of *potential* contributors as a
> language whose leadership is disrespectful, unprofessional, and
> frustrating to work with.

I agree.

> This fork should have been a wakeup call, but already, looking
> at this thread, I can see that the wrong lessons are being
> learned.

FWIW, it definitely was a wakeup call, at least for me.

> This is not about whether or not PRs get merged. It's about
> giving contributors the respect and acknowledgement they
> deserve--not just with your words, but with your actions, your
> effort, and your time.

I hear you.