The forked elephant in the room

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 09:39:42 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 01:56:32 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Professional respect is both earned and revocable. Mr. Ruppe
> did himself no favors during the November community call (don't
> know if I can say more than that). Extreme frustration is not,
> and never can be, an excuse from professional decorum. Mr.
> Wilzbach handled it much better. IMO, the leadership dealt with
> Mr. Ruppe about as charitably as one could hope for.

When you try to communicate issues, and instead get told "You are
free to fork the languge" -- is that the respect we are talking
about? When you perform a massive amount of work, get ignored,
and then someone repeatedly refuses to read your code -- is that
the charitable dealing that a D contributor can expect?

A lot is being said how some people around here are
_unrespectful_, but I don't always see beheviour that would make
you respect DLF in the first place. What happens is, DLF people
are mostly silent with the community, people get frustrated to a
boiling point, and then everyone on forums just **demands**
respect. And do nothing to gain said respect.

Respect has to be mutual. One that loses respect because of their
actions can't just show up and demand to be respected. So,
instead of demanding respect, start acting in a way that would
make me respect you.