The forked elephant in the room

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Jan 19 20:22:07 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jan 20, 2024 at 07:39:07PM +0000, Hors via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> i thought this was the definition of open source software, you can do
> things without needing a leader. Can't community discuss about things
> without leader, if leader declines it (which is unlikely if most of
> the people actually want it), then you can always fork.

Don't confuse the *license* of the software (license gives you the right
to access and modify the source code) with the *development methodology*
of the software (community decides what features to implement vs. leader
makes final decision vs. anything in-between).

D has always been closer to the closed development model where Walter
has final say over what goes in and what doesn't. Not quite as closed as
Lua (devs don't even grant access to the code repo, you only get the
code snapshot at release time, they may or may not listen to community
feedback and are not obligated to explain why), but still pretty near
the closed end of the spectrum than your average open source project
where the community's voice plays a bigger role.

However, in spite of what the open source / open development model
propagandists may say, it remains an open question which end of the
spectrum (or whether the exact middle) is more effective.  Having a BDFL
can help move things along when the community is split over some
controversial decision, and he can also ensure the big picture is not
lost in the forest of immediate decisions. OTOH having everything go
through one person has serious bottleneck issues and adversity issues
(when the community at large disagrees with the leader's decision).
There are pros and cons whichever way you take.  I have my opinion on
where on the spectrum things are more ideal, but it's not possible to
know for sure without actually doing it.  It's not an easy issue.

Notwithstanding the eloquent discontent that you have just respectfully expressed at length against my verbal capabilities, I am afraid that I must unfortunately bring it to your attention that I am, in fact, NOT verbose.