Should I invest time in D?

Binarydepth binarydepth at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 13:36:59 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 20 January 2024 at 11:22:19 UTC, Lars Johansson
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 07:19:28 UTC, Lars Johansson
> wrote:
>> After years of procrastination, I at the end of last year
>> finalized Rey Valesa's great dlang/vibe tutorial
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/gnluupbilugncznkffuo@forum.dlang.org.
>> I had planned to proceed with a deep dive into D.
>>
>> With the post 'Cloning D', it looks like Pandora's box has
>> opened.
>> I do not want to be a part of such community and the future of
>> D does not look good. The alternatives do not look good
>> either. Immature, boring, too restrictive etc. Is assembler
>> the choice if you want to add a low level language to your
>> Intel toolbox?
>> I'm seventy one, so I do not have all the time in the world.
>> I have procrastinated too long already. My humble question is
>> 'Why should I use D?'. I am greatful for any polite answer:)
>
> Thanks for all good answers.
> There were some questions raised:
>
> Why do you turn to this forum for opinions about D? - You show
> know D best. I guess I needed some moral support.
>
> What are you going to do with D? - Mostly for fun.
>
> I like coding.
> In the distant pasts I did an awful lot of IBM assembler and
> that was fun. Since the early 90ties mostly hilvl languages and
> scripting. Now as retired I like to see if I’m still able to
> learn a new language.
> The only language I looked at so far that looks appealing to me
> is D,  thou templates look a bit odd.
> I suspect if I learn a lolvl language, I will come up with
> something useful.
> I still do some $work (more than I like). So I’m not sure how
> much time I will spend on D. Anyhow I will give it a try.
>
> Thank you again. I did not expect that many and nice responses.
> Next time I write it will be in a beginner forum, not this one.

That sounds good, yet you need to define your areas of
development if you want to use existing libraries and want to
avoid reinventing the wheel. Do you want to write programs for
the terminal or scripts, applications, API's, libraries for other
developers to use?

If it exclusively for fun, then I think you can consider
competitive coding where you encounter teasers and improve over
time and in the future decide some computational needs if you
want.

There are many platforms for competitive coding like SPOJ but
look as many sources as possible that have D also.