Improve the OOP ABI

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 22 23:09:22 UTC 2024

On 1/22/2024 2:49 PM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
>> One collision in 6 billion hashes per second for 100 years.
>
> If we were gambling on something not happening, those are great odds.
>
> However if this does occur, silent memory corruption is possible.
>
> I don't want to be gambling on whether there will be silent memory corruption.
>
> This is my perspective on the topic anyway. I love guarantees of program security.

I do understand the desire for mathematical perfection, and feel it myself. But
it has a significant and always present performance penalty. Engineering is
always about tradeoffs. There's no getting away from it.

I'm not concerned about a meteor hitting my house, either, which is far far more
likely.

BTW, D uses md5 hashes to enable the linker to merge redundant string literals.

Other compromises we make for performance include things like floating point
rounding.