Automating formatting for official D repos

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Mon Jan 22 23:33:07 UTC 2024

> Please, no. Code formatters consistently make code look like garbage. Some
> flexbility is needed if we want code to actually look nice.

There is always flexibility, by turning off the formatter for a given
block and formatting manually.

However, 'looks like garbage' is subjective. For instance I think
anything that uses the D style guidelines is inherently garbage. But yet
I am still forced to write code that way if I want to contribute.

It is a choice, you either value peoples contributions more than you do
what style they wrote it in, or you value the ability to nitpick it. As
far as I'm concerned we need to value contributions significantly more
and that includes making the CI not fail over something it can correct.